Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Just a quick update

Howdy!  Still waiting for UCLA to drop the dime on me so I can be admitted and get this transplant going.  Feeling very tired the past week or two but I keep staying busy.  Today, I went to the home of my ex wife, mother in law, and daughters and pulled weeds in the backyard.  They have a very nice backyard with a great view of the Inland Empire.  Lots of flowering plants bordering the entire backyard, but the weeds are trying to take over so I have been pulling weeds in order to make their backyard look pristine.  Doing a lot of other chores such as hanging all the wall decorations, fixing problems as they arise and getting to spend time with all of them.  Needless to say, my body is completely trashed tonight.  I have work so hard in almost three years and my body is just not used to the bending over, digging with my hands, and lifting.  I much rather be riding bulls or breaking horses because my body is used to those activities but I have to admit, I feel good to have my muscles hurt like they do.  It's rather embarrassing to type that yard work is kicking my butt, but cancer definitely has a way of humbling a person.  Three years ago I was in the gym curling 140 pound barbell, 350 pound seated rows, knocking out 100 push ups to warm up, and now a bunch of weeds are giving me a run for my money.  When I beat this cancer, I'll be back!  Think I'll see if my buddy, Big Jack Bron, will allow me to work out with him.  If you don't know Jack, he is as big as a house, solid as a rock, and a good friend of mine.
Haven't been working on Cody as much as I would like being as I have been helping the girls in their new home.  Haven't been out to the bull pen for a couple of weeks either.  However, this Saturday I am going to a horse auction in the morning, working with Cody in the afternoon, and then out to the bull pen that night.  Thinking about heading up to Montana's in San Dimas after bull riding.
Just trying to live my life as though today will be the last.  Everyone tells me to slow down and get ready to go into the hospital.  I am ready!  I have been ready for quite some time but telling me to slow down is like trying to put a fire out with gasoline.  Just ain't going to happen.  I figure I will have plenty of time to lay around and rest when I go in so why not open the throttle up full speed and let er' rip.
It's amazing the number of people that have acquired cancer.  It's almost as if it is at epidemic proportions.  I really believe it is due to the food we eat and the water we drink.  We have been poisoned over time.  I read many posts on Facebook of people coming down with Leukemia and they all seem to have one thing in common, panic.  I suppose. rightfully so, they have reason to be afraid and frantic.  Personally, I am not afraid of it, nor am I panicking.  Instead of being afraid of it, I choose to wrap my arms around it and embrace it.  Bring it on!  I can beat it.  I will be it.  I have been through far too much in my sixty-two years to let this bring me down and beat up.  Granted, I have my times when my body hurts so bad I can't stand it.  When I can't breathe, or when I sleep for twelve to fourteen hours at a time, that I just want to quit, but those moments are short lived and I get right back up in the saddle and put the spurs to it.  Tonight, I hurt everywhere.  There isn't a bone or muscle that doesn't hurt.  I could take my morphine or dilaudid but then I am giving into it and I just won't do it.  I am stronger than this cancer and I will not let it dictate how I am going to live.  Don't misunderstand me, I am not bragging or putting myself up on some pedestal.  I'm just a tough old cowboy and I have a certain amount of pride in being the way I am.  Just like John Wayne when he acquired cancer.  It wore him down, beat him up, but he never gave in until it took him.  He didn't cry about it, didn't bitch about, didn't make any excuses.  He played the hand he was dealt and he played it to the end and I will do the same thing.
I would like to thanks my buddies Gary, Bill and Jack for putting up with me.  I would like to thank my girls on Facebook, y'all know who you are, for all the love and support.  I would like to give a huge thanks to my friends for allowing me the use of a room so I don't have to sleep in my truck.  Like to especially thank my family, Patty, Mom, Brittany, Berlyn, Teddy, Jack and Bob for all the help and unconditional love.
Going to lay my head down and let my body do what it needs to do tonight.  Remember, storms never last and they eventually run out of rain.  The glass is always half full!

No comments:

Post a Comment