Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Bull Riding: Misconceptions and Myths

Up till today, I had been sharing the room with a gentleman who was as long winded a man that I have ever heard.  A nice guy, but one of those that just takes over a conversation and seems to know it all.  I knew this because every time a nurse or doctor came in, they couldn't leave.  It got to the point that the doctors and nurses probably drew straws to see who was going to go in an talk to him.
Well, being the nice guy I am, I thought I would finally introduce myself through the curtain.  Oh my!  About ten minutes of listening to his philosophical views on everything from doctors to properly cooking an artichoke he asked me what I was in the hospital for.  I told him I hit a little bump in the road with some cancer and left it alone at that.  He then said, "I noticed you were wearing a cowboy hat when you came in."  He followed by asking, "May I ask what you do?"  Proudly, I replied, "I ride bulls."  Keep in mind, this gentleman was seventy-five years old, born and bred in the city, and had never been on a horse.  He then proceeded to tell me about the cruelty that was inflicted on rodeo stock, how ropes are tied around their genitalia, and how cattle prods are stuck up their butts to make them buck.

Needless to say, this city boy rode into the wrong camp.  I asked him where he got his information upon which he replied, "I can't recall.  I must of read it somewhere."  So, I decided it would be a good time to do some teaching and relieve this man from the absurd and false information he had gathered.  I also figured it would be something that I would post so as to educate people that are not involved or familiar with the rodeo cowboy lifestyle.

In the cattle business, cows (female cattle that have had a calf) are more abundant because they are needed for breeding and replenishing the herd.  It doesn't take but a few bulls to impregnate a herd of cows.  You've probably heard the term "heifer" which is simply a female who has not produced any offspring.  Male cattle are either steers (male cattle that have been castrated) or bulls (male cattle that are used for breeding).  Most young bulls are turned into steers, fed, raised, and then sent off to the slaughtering house for your Burger King hamburgers.  Rodeo bulls are kept around and enjoy a good life because of their abilities to buck, otherwise, they to would be off to Burger King.  My point is, rodeo gives many of these animals, that would be on their way to slaughter, a good life.

A typical bucking bull only works an average of five minutes per year.  Five minutes!  The rest of his time is spent in the pasture.  To us cowboys, they are considered athletes and gain our respect because of their abilities to buck us off.  They are fed quality feed and are constantly being given check ups by the vet to ensure that they are healthy and able to work, five minutes a year!

It is a natural instinct for a 2,000 pound bull to buck off anything that is not natural to him.  Let me run through the order of operation from the time the bull enters the chute, until the time he bucks out.
The bull is first guided into the bucking chute.  Sometimes a cattle prod, a hand held apparatus which produces an electrical current, is used to move him if he becomes stubborn.  A cattle prod uses a "C" flashlight battery and at no time are they used on their genitalia or any other sensitive part of their body.  A cattle prod is the equivalent to a dog training collar.  In fact, the cattle prod was invented by a veterinarian to help keep separation and move livestock so both livestock and people are not hurt or killed.

Once the bull is loaded into the chute a flank strap is place around his hind quarter.  This is the equivalent of having a belt tied around your waist.  The flank strap leather is covered with fleece which makes it soft and comfortable for the bull.  It is not tied too tight because if it was, the bull wouldn't buck.  It is simply a foreign object that he is trying get off of him, thus the bucking.

Next, the cowboy sits on his back, another foreign object.  We run a bull rope around his front quarters and this is what we hold onto to try and stay on.  Attached to the rope is a cow bell that clanks quite loudly once the bull starts to buck.  We also wear spurs which have dulled, movable rowels that allow the cowboy to use his legs to hang onto as well.  Human skin is 1 mm thick.  A horses hide is 5 mm in thickness while a bull has skin that is 7 mm thick.  The rowels do absolutely no damage to the bulls skin and hurt him in no way.

When you really think about it, how can a 160 pound man hurt a 2,000 pound bull?  Rodeo injuries do occur but at a documented rate of less than 1%.

Well, after I explained all this to my roommate, he came away with a completely different point of view and most importantly, he was informed.  Rodeo has been around for over a hundred and fifty years when Mexican Vaqueros would demonstrate their roping and riding abilities.  Rodeo is governed by the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association and the Senior Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association.  The later of which only has one requirement to join, you must be 40 years of age or older which I definitely qualify for.  I would also venture to say that I am the oldest bull rider in the nation, although my time has come and passed, I still enjoy sticking my toe in the water once in a while.  If anyone ever wishes to come and watch what we do, every Wednesday and Saturday night bull riding practice is held in Mira Loma and y'all are more than welcomed to come and get an up close and personal view.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment