Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Just a little update from buckaroo

Well, been out of the hospital since last Saturday and have been slowly regaining my strength, stamina, and aggressive attitude.  I will say this, every time I go into a hospital, I feel it takes more time off my life than putting time on.  This was my 69th hospital stay in 62 years, granted much of that was from rodeo, but still, each visit I seem to recuperate a little less each time and it takes so much more of me inside to want to fight, but a fighter I have been all my life and I suppose it's too late to turn back now.
I felt as though I was in good hands at UCLA and have a doctors appointment this Tuesday at 2:30 to discuss the plan of attack.  They are closely monitoring my white blood cell count to make sure that it continues to decrease to the point that they feel comfortable doing the transplant.  This is all fine and dandy with me for it gives me a little more time to get stronger.  I am looking for a lift into Westwood this coming Tuesday.  I would have to leave about 12 and coming home with traffic, probably wouldn't be back until 5.
I have been blessed to have been offered a spare room at a fellow cowboy's home to help me get back on my feet a little.  He, his wife and youngest daughter are just the nicest of folks and I hope one day I can do something in return for this kindest of favors.  Had I not been offered this room it was going to be living in my truck for a while.
Both my daughters came over the other day to visit which was so nice to see them.  My ex-wife, who I get along with very well, also came by to visit and has been extremely supportive for she doesn't wish to see the father of her daughters die.  It's funny but I hear more from people I have never meet than people I know.  I just find it interesting.  Maybe they all know I am just a tough old goat that will last forever and figure they will catch up with me down the road, I don't know.  It's all good though.  Like my Uncle Pudge told be when I was growing up, "If you have lived a good life and done well, you'll be able to count your "true" friends on one hand."  I always wondered about those words growing up but as I get older I know exactly was he was talking about.  We all know a lot of people, acquaintances, passersby, but those people who really have your back when all your chips are down, that will jump in that foxhole to cover you up, or be there when they say, are whom he was talking about.
Had a real rough night with digestive issues and am almost afraid to go to sleep tonight in fear I will repeat last night.  Darn chemo has some nasty side affects.  Well, tomorrow comes early and I am tired so I shall say goodnight.  Thank you all for your support, well wishes, prayers and conversations through this most challenging of times.  Got to get my strength up for Saturday night with my fellow bull riders for it's getting close to call for the gate on more time.  Nite all.

1 comment: