Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Howdy!  Been very busy and extremely tired the past few days but needed to take a moment an update this blog...Yesterday, a friend drove me to UCLA at 12:30 so I could meet with my oncologist and have my blood checked.  The nurse drew 15 vials of blood.  I called her a vampire, but a pretty one at that, and she just laughed.  I then waited for my doctor(s) and they had told me that my white blood cell count was down to 13,000.  It was over 100,000 three weeks ago so progress is being made.  A normal white blood cell count is between 4,000 and 10,000, so I am almost there.  I met with the bone marrow transplant coordinator and I signed the necessary papers to acquire the donor information that was gathered when I was in Minnesota.  Being as I have been struggling to catch my breath lately I had to have a chest x-ray which was supposed to be followed up with a CT scan at the local emergency room today.  Well, when the emergency room said it could be up to an eight hour wait, out the door I went.  We're just going to forego that test, my decision.  I refuse to wait in an emergency room for that long.  This morning, a social worker called from UCLA, with my ex-wife Patty on a conference call to discuss the entire transplant procedure, recovery and medications.  WOW!  I am going to have to really "cowboy up" for this.  I knew it was going to be rough, but not this rough.  I have a lot of coordinating to do.  Once they find the donor, or if the donor they matched me with in Minnesota is approved, I will be admitted to the hospital.  The first week will be radical chemo with the following side affects; nausea, vomiting, weakness, mouth sores, loss of hair and basically just feeling plain lousy.  Can't wait!!  Sounds like a hell of good time.  Then the bone marrow transplant take place after a one day rest.  I will be in my room for the next three weeks minimum so that my body can accept the new bone marrow.  I will be given lots of drugs to try and make me comfortable and to fight off infections being as I will have no immune system.  When I am released from the hospital, I then go to a "cancer hotel" two blocks from the hospital where I will be living for the next month.  I will need adult supervision 24/7 while I am living there, meaning that whoever is with me will be living there as well watching my sorry butt, helping me cook my food, eating, blah, blah, blah.  So, I have to start lining up help as soon as I know when my check in date will be.  Patty has offered, as well as my daughter Brittany, and hopefully my son in Washington, Teddy, can maybe come down for a bit.  When I leave the hotel, I will have to find a place to hold up.  This will be a big obstacle because it would be asking a lot from anyone to help through this.  I will not be able to drive for a while and will need weekly rides into UCLA for blood work and God forbid anything goes wrong like acquiring an infection.  I am not allowed to be around horses, cows or bulls for at least six months, which is going to kill me.  I can't be around second hand smoke, young children or getting close to dogs or cats in chance that one might scratch me.  I will be wearing a mask when I go to the doctors or around the public.  I think I will just wear a cowboy bandana, I think they look a lot cooler than those paper masks, then I can become the Chino Hills Outlaw for a while, lol.  Anyway, that is the latest update.
Last night I had the opportunity to meet some very fine people, Tandi, Tom, Matt, Eric and Matt's wife at Roscoe's last night.  I was treated to a fine steak dinner and made some great friends.  It was the best time I have had since my 50th birthday party, almost 13 years ago.  We told stories, laughed, had great food and they're coming out this Saturday to watch my final bull ride.  My fellow Marine cowboys are joining us at Roscoe's at 4 on Saturday for an early dinner, relax, and then head over to the bull pen in Mira Loma.  All of us are extremely excited to ride being as it was closed last Saturday.  Afterwards, we'll probably go somewhere and hang out a bit.  I would like to thank Tandi and Tom for the most delicious steak I have had in a long, long time.  They have been huge supporters of me, as everyone else has been, during this rough stretch in the road for me.
I am very fortunate to have an ex-wife that I get along with for she is being a huge support and very nice through this whole ordeal.  She's a good woman and is trying her best as she too is going through her own challenges in life.  We may not be married anymore, but I will always love her for being the mother of my two beautiful daughters, Brittany and Berlyn.  I think that is how is should be, but unfortunately, it doesn't always work that way.  I would like to thank my children for their support as well.  I know this has been hard for them knowing that their father used to be a physically big, in shape man and due to this cancer has dwindled down for 210 pounds to as little as 145.  I know it's not been easy but they have stood tall and firm and it's their love that is a huge piece of the puzzle in keeping my head up and desire to continue this fight to the end.  I greatly appreciate all those who have embraced me and have helped me through all this.  A huge thanks to Darlene for setting up GoFundMe account to help offset living expenses being as still can't find any work due to my condition and unfortunately, bills don't just disappear.  Her, and her husband John, are two of the finest people I have ever had the pleasure to meet and their help has been insurmountable.
Thursday, a young man has offered to take some photos of me working with a horse and riding bulls, being as I have seemed to have lost all my photos from my past.  He offered to due this being as he is a professional photographer and I will be able to have some photos to give to my children.
A big thank you to the community of Chino Hills as a whole, you've been beyond wonderful and I hope to meet each and every one of you one day to offer my heartfelt thank you!

2 comments:

  1. I know you can do this! I BELIEVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much fun meeting/seeing you last night. I love hearing the sound of your lifted spirits in this post! We are hoping to be able to see you at the Bull Pen Sat. Night. We'll set a date to go see the horses run. Until then, hang tough!

    ReplyDelete